Facts about Bob Marley
1. Bob Marley was born Robert Nesta Marley on February 6, 1945 in Jamaica. His father was a 50 year old white naval captain, his mother a 19 year old village girl. His mixed background earned him the nickname `white boy´and the ridicule of his peers. His bullying contributed to his spiritual growth, bringing him to declare `I am not on the white man’s side or the black man’s side, I am on God’s side´.
2. As a child, Marley read palms and told fortunes with spooky accuracy. Once he became a singer, he quit palm reading cold turkey.
3. His first band, the Wailing Wailers, was so named because they were ghetto sufferers in Kingston´s Trench Town slum.
4. Bob Marley and his entourage were attacked by an unknown gunman in 1976 during a time of political turmoil. He and his wife were grazed by bullets but defiantly appeared on stage for a `Smile Jamaica´concert two days later, delighting the crowds.
5. Although Marley stayed married to his wife Rita from the age of 21 until his death, he also had at least
8 other children with eight other women. The unconfirmed believed number is closer to 20.
6. When he was in school, Bob Marley’s best subject was mathematics. He left school to become an apprentice welder, and he left that because a piece of metal flew into his eye. After this he became a singer.
7. Marley once went to jail for a month after being arrested for the possession of marijuana. The friends he met there inspired much of his political advocacy.
8. In 1973, Bob toured opening for Bruce Springsteen as well as Sly and the Family Stone. He was fired by Sylvester Stone after the fourth show for being too good and hogging the attention and love of the crowd.
9. Bob Marley was buried with a guitar, a soccer ball, and a bud of herb. His last words to his son Ziggy were `money can’t buy life´.
10. The royalties from `No Woman No Cry´are sent directly to a soup kitchen in Jamaica. Bob Marley grew up very poor but once he earned money he bought homes for his friends and family and supported many poor people in Jamaica.
1. What was Bob Marley’s given first name? (Robert)
2. Why was his nickname `White Boy´? (he had a white dad)
3. What was Marley’s spooky talent? (palm reading)
4. What was the name of his first band? (the Wailing Wailers)
5. Why were they called this? (they were ghetto sufferers)
6. When was Bob Marley shot? (1976)
7. What was the name of the concert he played two days later? (Smile Jamaica)
8. What was Marley’s wife named? (Rita)
9. How many children is he suspected to have fathered out of wedlock? (20)
10. What was his best subject in school? (mathematics)
11. What kind of apprenticeship did he do? (welding)
12. Why did Bob Marley go to jail? (possession of marijuana)
13. How long was he there? (one month)
14. When did Bob open for Bruce Springsteen? (1973)
15. Who else did he tour with? (Sly and the Family Stone)
16. What was Bob Marley buried with? (guitar, bud of herb, soccer ball)
17. What is the name of one of Marley’s sons? (Ziggy)
18. What happens to the royalties from `No Woman No Cry´? (soup kitchen)